Monday, February 22, 2010

My Inspiration

People always tell me to start a blog. I'd like to think it's a reflection of my charm and wit, but really, most people can't help but love (or be entertained by) the stories of the people and things I come across in my daily life.

I'm a Public Defender (also known as "public pretender") in Florida, so, basically, my job is like a tv show. In fact, I've promised my 3rd floor lunch group that I would chronicle our stories in some way so we could someday pitch them to a tv producer. So, sometimes I can't share all that I want (confidentiality and respect for the people I talk about), but I want to try my best to bring it all to you (and, in some way, get a little stress relief from the day in sharing).

To begin, I've started with my inspiration :
Today I was in court, surrounded by some of my female colleagues. The Judge was calling trial cases and we were waiting to see what would happen with our own clients for the day. Our conversation was probably some typical mix of pre-trial jitters and advice, and maybe a little bit of what was on tv last night. A silvery-haired dude, a lawyer of the "paid" variety, walks by with that air of superiority (Public Defender's are like lowest-of-low-scum-on-bottom-of-totem-pole, no matter how many times they ask our advice, and despite the fact that almost every criminal defense attorney started as one), and says:

"What is this, The View? All of the ladies have taken over the courtroom."

Now, we all decided within minutes that this was most likely his best attempt at a joke (or, even more pitiful, maybe even flirting???)... but this is offensive for many reasons.

1. I still DVR The View and watch it religiously.
2. Because I watch The View every day, I know that it is a total bitchfest and that several of the castmates are complete idiots.
3. The statement kind of begs the assumption that the courtroom is not a place for women, since we have to take it over and all.

So, I have decided to dedicate my blog to this. In a way, it's funny, because I love stupid reality tv and plan to talk about it a lot. I also plan to be really opinionated in a way that I can only hope will piss people off in the same way Elisabeth Hasselbeck can get me going. But, also, it is a constant reminder of my "place" in the courtroom. If it isn't a client who thinks I'm a pretend lawyer, then it's a good ol' boy who thinks it's appropriate to call me "little girl" in the courtroom (yes, it's happened).
Yes, that's right, I'm still complaining about a woman's place in the workplace. Prepare for feminist rant here. I've had male colleagues twice my age comment on how "cute" I am (while I am worrrrking, people), and I had a client ask me if I was another attorney's secretary when I told him I'd be covering his office conference.
My solution is to bitch, and this is my outlet. Welcome to the view....

No comments:

Post a Comment